Tuesday 26 February 2013

flashbacks

I intend for my music video to contain many flashbacks. In order to gain an in depth understanding of what works well and not so well using this technique, I researched other music videos that use this theme - I found a song by Calvin Harris 'flashbacks' that, although different in genre, uses sismilar techniques to what I am aiming for.



I found that on several occasions when a flashback is used, the camera is handheld. This shows slight disorientation as the camera is less steady and a signification of 'looking back' is portrayed. This also differentiates between the present and past.



In order to further emphasise this contrast I may use black and white effect which will juxtapose with the bright colours of the beach - which is where the music video will be primarily set when flashbacks are not used.



A classic association with a photograph is memories and Calvin Harris uses this idea in his video. He looks back at photos from what we assume to be the night before and the mis-en-scene then transforms to the moment itself. I hope to achieve this in my video also; the main character will be burning photos taken throughout his relationship and the mis-en-scen will cross cut to that moment in time.


2 comments:

  1. In your evaluation be careful to explain THE PURPOSE OF FLASHBACKS, how you've used them and include examples from your music video. Think about how the flashbacks add appeal and enhance the narrative. Don't describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you concentrate on your evaluation rather than catching up with research and planning. You were meant to have completed rough drafts of questions 2 and 4 yesterday so that I can offer revisions!

    ReplyDelete